He replaced it by new roads which skirted the area which he wished to reserve as Ickworth Park.
The New Road led from near Chevington Rectory past Chevington Lodge to Great Saxham, where it picked up the route into Bury via Little Saxham and Westley Road.
Sir Thomas Gery Cullum was also managing the River Lark Navigation on behalf of his aunt, Susanna Palmer, at this time.
The company assets included the Wharf at Fornham, located just downstream of the site of Babwell Priory.
In November a petition applying for an Act of Parliament for enclosure of the Bury St Edmunds town fields was considered in the House.
The stations of the Yarmouth naval telegraph line set up in 1808 were rapidly sold off.
As farmers got less money for their crops, they could not pay the wartime levels of land rents, and also tried to reduce their production costs by reducing farm workers' wages.
Agricultural depression meant misery and economic Depression on a wide scale.
He agreed to spend £400 on improvements, despite the mill being only 15 to 20 years old.
He replaced the undershot wheel with a very large breastshot wheel of wood and iron, which also meant that he had to raise the banks of the millpool to bring the water level up to breastwheel height, giving a 10 feet fall. The winter of 1813-1814 was very cold, and the frost was persistent.